Welcome to our San Francisco Bay Area LGBT Jewish Community! Our community offers an abundance of synagogues and congregations, Jewish community centers, Holocaust programs, Jewish preschools, Jewish day schools, Jewish high schools, Jewish summer day camps, the world's largest Jewish film festival and a new landmark Jewish museum!
We have listed a few resources targeted for LGBT Jewish newcomers to the Bay Area below but take a look around as you will find many additional resources throughout our site! Our hope is that you find the San Francisco Bay Area LGBT Jewish community to be a warm welcoming community for you, your friends and your family.
Should you ever have any additional questions, comments or concerns, or just need to grab a cup of coffee with one of our welcoming LGBT Alliance Jewish lay leaders, you can always find us at (415) 369-2863.
- Jewish Resource Guide: For over two decades the J. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California has connected newcomers and longtime residents with our vibrant and diverse Jewish community through a comprehensive and useful Resource: A guide to Jewish life in the Bay Area. Take a look at the abundance and breadth of services offered by our Jewish community with links to most listings just a click away.
- Celebrating our LGBT Jewish lives: For some local LGBT Jews, being LGBT is a primary piece of their identities, and still others feel equally passionate about being both LGBT and Jewish. We understand from our 2010 LGBT Study that there is no singular LGBT Jewish community in the Bay Area. Instead, many local LGBT Jews describe a sense of allegiance to several communities. Nevertheless, as you begin to discover the San Francisco Bay Area we hope that you choose to join the LGBT Alliance in the creative ways our Lay Leaders celebrate both Jewish and LGBT holidays.
- Jewish Networking: Networking and socializing play an integral role in our community and we welcome your participation. Are you looking to meet people outside of the specific LGBT Jewish community and focused on other parts of their Jewish identity? Through the Jewish Community Federation you can meet people with similar interests as you!
- LGBT Jewish Professional Networking: As you begin to discover the San Francisco Bay Area we hope that you also have the chance to discover and get to know the myriad of LGBT Jews in public leadership roles. The LGBT Alliance is proud of its role in helping sustain this natural network of Jewish LGBT professional leaders. If you are a Jewish LGBT professional we hope that you join us in the networking and professional development opportunities we support.
- LGBT Jewish Online Community: It is no surprise to the estimated 36,000 Bay Area LGBT Jews that we are highly diverse in terms of age, gender, geography, identities, interests, social networks, and commitments. Yet, LGBT programming based on a "one size fits all" model is still a reoccurring theme which results in not always meeting many LGBT Jews’ needs. As our San Francisco based Jewish Community Federation and the Jewish Community Federation of the Greater East Bay continue to work together to foster the knowledge of this vast diversity of our community and advocate within the organized Jewish community for communal change we rely on social media as a networking, resource sharing and community organizing tool. Through our multiple portals online (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter & Blogging) you have an additional chance to meet individuals who share their passion for improving the world and celebrating Jewish culture through the lens of your shared unique and distinct LGBT Jewish experience and identity.
- LGBT Jewish Resources: Possibly as a reflection to the general openness of the San Francisco Bay Area LGBT Jews do not report significant levels of homophobia or transphobia in the organized Jewish community. Yet, barriers to our involvement present themselves as the multiple layers of our distinct LGBT Jewish identities are unpeeled. In respect to the often complex and overlapping dualistic identities that LGBT Jews straddle we have created a limited resource guide to highlight a few local groups generally understood by our lay leaders to be a proactively welcoming place for LGBT Jews and our friends and families.
And that's not all… We also have a community calendar filled to the brim with opportunities to connect with San Francisco Bay Area LGBT Jewish folks!